A groundman is responsible for maintaining ground conditions during day-to-day operations.
A groundman’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Daily/weekly/monthly equipment maintenance
- Sign and cone set up
- Driving equipment to and from the job site
- Chipping debris and cleaning work area
- Maintain traffic control
- Maintain a safe work environment
- 3-way communication with operator
- Rigging and safe operation of running ropes
- Safe operation and handling of a chainsaw
As a groundman, you must be able to:
- Lift at least 50lbs
- Bend, squat, kneel, twist, climb, pull, and stand for long periods
- Work in all weather conditions i.e., rain, snow, wind, sun, etc.
- Wear all required PPE.
- Maintain attention and concentration for extended periods of time
- Must be able to read, write and comprehend instructions and information
- Must have reliable transportation
All groundman are required to follow company, OSHA, ANSI, and DOT rules and regulations that pertain to the industry.
Minimum requirements: No industry experience is required. Valid and active drivers license is preferred, but not required. Tree industry related certifications and licenses, i.e., arborists license(s), ISA certifications, hydraulic and crane licenses, CDL, etc., are preferred, but not required. No formal educational degree required.